Moms Without Blogs has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://momswithoutblogs.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Check out MWOB's FIRST guest blogger!

Today is a good Monday for me so far.  Not only is "Moms Without Blogs" celebrating its two-week anniversary in existence, I am proud to present our first official guest blogger....one of my dearest friends, Ames.   Amy and I have known each other since meeting our freshmen year at USC.   Known for her spirited stubbornness, her quest for the truth, and her amazing ability to survive anything life throws at her, Ames was kind enough to contribute some of her deepest, darkest feelings about the holidays all for the sake of MWOB.   I love her honest perspective and I thought it was a perfect way to kick off Halloween week and the Fall/Winter holiday season.  

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas (and a BUNCH of birthdays thrown in between including my own) … this is my LEAST favorite time of year. For starters, you’ve got the cheesy decorations for these holidays. C’mon how many moms out there really want to store decorations for each of the above holidays, and then display the same ghost, plump, plaster, turkey, or singing Santa each year? Am I alone or don’t all you holiday decorators get tired of this? I am the kind of person who really likes organization and a clutter-free space. That is my sanity. With the holidays comes decorations or in other words, clutter. Yes, I have a 4 and 6 year old, so I’ve really had to open up to clutter in my life, but add holiday “stuff” to our already existing clutter, and it’s a recipe for Mommy Madness.

In addition to the plethora of decorations, the holidays also bring pressure, additional expenses, marital strife, and general headaches. Recently, while I was away from home for two weeks having brain surgery (yes, BRAIN surgery and not just because of the general holiday headaches referenced above), my mother and her cousin very lovingly decorated our house with my kids for Halloween as a homecoming present for me.


Oh the sight of it! Even with the added life perspective having brain surgery gives you, this display of festive Halloween clutter only made me shudder. More clutter, more dust, another mess to clean up.

With each year I grow older, the realization that I HATE the holidays becomes more apparent. I know this is the point where I should fast forward to Christmas morning and be touched by the looks on my kids' faces when they see that Santa brought them the exact toy they were hoping for, but I have to say that the commercial feel of the holidays really bugs me and I’d rather get back to the basics – a family being together celebrating the reason for the season and for me, that just doesn’t include Santa.

Bah Humbug!

1 comment:

  1. OK, Amy, I just spent 1/2 hour typing an inspirational response to you and somehow I goofed and it disappeared! So now I'm giving you the condensed version--sorry! Obviously I'm in the right place at MWOB since I haven't a clue how to blog correctly!!!

    Anyhow, I am a fellow Scrooge (just ask my Mom and sister about the time they baked Christmas cookies at my house) but my children have such joy during the holiday season that they manage to snap me out of my rantings most of the time. Last Christmas season we read "The Autobiography of Santa Claus" as told to Jeff Guinn. It is a wonderful story, part real history, part Christmas magic and my kids, ages 10, 8 & 5 really enjoyed it. It begins "You're right to believe in me . . ." I highly recommend it! I believe that there is room for both Jesus & Santa in all our lives. My children know that Jesus is the reason for the season, but believing in Santa is a leap of faith also. We celebrate Halloween but we also participate in All Souls Day and All Saints Day. Today's kids are exposed to so much that makes them grow up too fast, I want them to keep that joyful exuberance and innocence as long as possible. My 6th grade son still believes & after reading this book, I still want to believe too. Last year, my 8 yr old daughter bought everyone (incl. grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, cats) carefully chosen gifts with her own money by shopping at our village's annual garage sale. She got to experience the joy of giving which is really what the season should be about. There are lots of ways to show children the spirit of Christmas--kindness, generosity, love, peace--while still letting them experience a little Christmas magic as well.

    I hope and pray that you are recovering well from your surgery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Designed by : NW Designs